Thursday, July 5, 2007

The Merits of Debits and Credits

Back in May, a lively discussion took place on the PRSPCT-L listserve regarding the value of a master's degree. I have to admit that as a researcher sans advanced degree, I am somewhat ambivalent. What I am 100% certain of, however, is that excellence in research demands continuing education. Most researchers I've met are zealous independent learners; in fact, that is the key personality trait that defines a true researcher.

I'm lucky to possess a terrific liberal arts background and a lot of technical know-how. But back in May, realizing the edge more formal business training could bring to prospect research, I decided to take some business classes at Baruch College Continuing Education. Marianne Pelletier very helpfully suggested starting with accounting, a basic course for business majors which many liberal arts grads have never studied.

Just six weeks into the class, I already get more out of the daily business news. A bonus has been a better understanding of my organization's financial reports (not to mention the ability to have an informed conversation with our VP of Finance).

Whether instead of or in addition to a master's degree, it's always a good idea to assess the gaps in your formal knowledge and find a way to fill in the gaps, through continuing education, workshops, conferences or mentoring. Contrarian career counselor and U.S. News Contributor Marty Nemko argues that targeted self-education is a better alternative than an advanced degree. What do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Brim over I acquiesce in but I about the post should secure more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.